In the school I was just an average girl. Not the richest girl, not the most popular, not the geekest, not the most beautiful or the ugliest one.
I was cute and everything but I didn’t have that classic beauty that our society is looking for. And I wasn’t the nicest dressed and didn’t have the coolest things. My parents didn’t afford too many cool things for me. And that was ok with me. I wasn’t interested in purses, make-up, lip gloss, hair things and girl gadgets. I was kinda boyish. I played football, I climbed on the trees and I hang out with boys. I was one of the guys and really, it was just fine with me.
But of course, like every human, I had my Achilles heels, Brandon, two years older than me, and I had a big crush on him. He always smiled at me and every damn time that I saw him, my knees mellowed. I was over my head for this boy. He had such a perfect grin and nice eyes, and hair… And he was checking me out.
I guess that was the very first time that I wanted to look pretty, to look like a lady. Damn shame I wasn’t.
Every time I saw him at school, I tried to be more mature, to be more sophisticated that a girl of my age. I didn’t think that he noticed my effort but that was ok. I really wasn’t that type of girl anyway.
But I think he liked me. He gave all the fuckin’ signs. The problem was that I wasn’t the popular type and his last girlfriend was one of the most popular girls in my year. Olivia.
I didn’t know if he had another girlfriend or he was free, but he liked me and every time that he saw me he smiled at me and winked and everything. In a couple of times he hugged me from behind and teased me. He liked me, right?
Well, one day I realized on the hard way that I was a little stupid girl.
I was casual at school, I had sport so I was dressed in sweats and a t-shirt and I passed by his class. He was on the hall with his colleagues.
They were the big ones in the school. Everyone liked them. Popular to the sky and back.
– You are too young to be attracted to boys. This was Ash. Every damn time he told me that Brandon wasn’t for me.
– Gee, you think so?
– What did you promise me Rys?
– That I will call for an exorcism?
– Don’t be sarcastic with me kid.
– You know what? It’s hard for me to have a mentally fight with you. Shut up now and I will listen to you latter.
– He is not for you Rys. He’s arrogant, ugly and superficial. You are a beautiful girl and…
– Shut up already!
I didn’t realize until it was too late that I spoke out loud. Damn Ash and his stupid parental emotions.
The boys just looked at me but no one said a word. Brandon smiled at his colleagues but avoided my eyes and pretended that he didn’t know me at all.
Then it is when I knew that he was playing with me. And he did it so well.
Every time when he was with somebody he didn’t even look at me, he didn’t say hi, he didn’t notice me…
I’m such a stupid bitch…
– I told you he is nothing but a stupid boy.
– You know what Ash? Shut the fuck up and let me think in silence.
– Nice vocabulary, young girl. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?
– I don’t need this from you Ash. You can shut up or you can leave. I don’t really care at this moment but do it in silence.